In Jewish tradition, your Jewish heritage is passed down on your mother's side. I spent my whole childhood explaining that I was "half-Jewish", while being told that I was full-Jew. I tried to rid myself of JAP-py (Jewish American Princess) connotations when I was younger by sending myself to Catholic high school and college. Today, I say that I embrace my part-semitic roots by celebrating the traditions of my ancestors and lighting our 19th century Lithuanian menorah. So here are a few gifts for my Jewish friends and family:
1. Tales from 1001 Arabian Nights, Penguin Classic Hardcover ($17): Penguin Classics has rereleased it's classics in these elegant hardcovers. Every girl should have an amazing library of books and giving her some almost as pretty as her is an excellent way to win her heart. To pick up the Penguin Classic books click here.
2. Diamante Lucky Charm Bracelet from Dana Levy ($120): This diamante lucky charm bracelet features a striking diamante lucky charm of your choice (my recomendation is from Kaballah tradition the Hamsa Hand: – The 'Hamsa' hand serves as an ancient talismanic way of averting harm by providing a ‘Protective hand’ over the 5 senses) with a small turquoise glass ‘Evil Eye’ charm (also a symbol in Jewish culture-warding off evil spirits and ill-wishes) in its centre, on a colourful and decorative friendship bracelet* complete with a gold plated lobster clasp closure and an optional pom-pom to match the bracelet. To pick one up, click here.
3. Marcia Moran Large Oval Drusy Ring ($212): A decadent display of drusy sparkles in a brilliant handmade setting textured with modern cutouts is a perfect cocktail ring and the navy and gold will go with most looks. To pick on up, click here.
4. Henri Bendel Goddess Tote in Navy ($148):
- Luxurious coated glitter fabric
- Interior zippered pocket
- Two cell phone &PDA pockets
- Brown & White satin lining
- Size: 13.5’’ W x 11’’ H, 8.5’’ handle drop
5. Double Hamsa Hand and Evil Eye Leather Cord Bracelet by Dana Levy ($100):
This double 'Hamsa' hand & Evil eye leather cord bracelet features a decorative solid plated 'Hamsa' hand charm combined with a small glass 'Evil eye' charm on a 14" long smooth leather cord bracelet complete with a plated clasp, which wraps twice around wrist. The 'Hamsa' hand serves as an ancient talismanic way of averting harm by providing a ‘protective hand’ over the 5 senses, and the 'Evil eye' protects from ill will. To pick it up, click here.
6. Georgetown Cupcakes Hanukkah Cupcakes ($29): Georgetown Cupcake's classic vanilla, vanilla & chocolate, chocolate, and red velvet cupcakes topped with a fondant Star of David.
7. Blue Topaz Drop Earrings ($330): Moroccan-born Hassan Bounkit described his handcrafted bracelets, necklaces, and earrings as "power pieces," and we instantly agreed. Using real stones like amethyst, green onyx, and lapis, each piece sparkles with vivid color and is unabashadly glam. His collection is full of pieces that will be in your jewelry box forever. Blue Topaz Sterling Silver 2 Inches Long Available in Post or Clip-On Please Note: This product is made-to-order. To pick it up, click here.
8. Dylan's Candy Bar Gelty Pleasures ($10): This bag full of delicious dark chocolate nonpareils make a festive Hanukkah gift. To pick it up visit www.dylanscandybar.com.